Chapatti, roti, dosa, upma are all staples in Indian kitchen and most of us love to eat these yummy things almost every day! The most common flour options are wheat and rice; however, those of us who are trying to lose weight, would like to look for flours that would also help boost weight loss. Though wheat flour is definitely healthy as it is made from whole grain and contains fiber, iron and protein, but there are other healthier alternatives with better nutritional value out there. In fact, they are considered good options to include when someone is trying to lose weight. In this post, we list down 10 Healthiest Flours For Weight Loss, and Rati Beauty diet includes them all in their weight loss diets. Do download the Rati Beauty app for more details on how you can lose weight by eating the right kind of food without staying off food completely.
1. Oats Flour: Oats is considered as one of the healthiest grains on the planet. That’s quite an accomplishment though! Unlike wheat, oats are gluten-free; they are a great source of vital vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. According to research, oats has numerous health benefits and it can aid in weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduces the risk of heart disease. You can prepare the dough at home by grinding oats and kneading the dough or you can buy packaged oats flour from a store to make roti out of it.
2. Bajra Flour: Bajra is a highly nutritious flour that is the perfect substitute for wheat roti. Bajra roti is excellent for weight loss and diabetic patients, as it helps to regulate blood sugar level. Bajra aids in digestion, reduces cholesterol and prevents certain types of cancer. You can make bajra roti along with your vegetables/daal just like regular wheat roti. Note: Bajra roti is slightly hard than wheat roti but looking at all the health benefits; we all need to incorporate in our diet ASAP!
3. Jowar bhakri: This is yet another traditional staple food, quite popular in the villages of Maharashtra. Jowar is a power packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is high in protein, calcium, copper, zinc, phosphorous, potassium and cell-building vitamin B. As it contains fewer calories, it’s a perfect option for weight watchers. It is also considered one of the best flour for diabetic patients.
4. Ragi Flour: Ragi is a rich source of calcium and strengthens the bones. It controls and regulates blood sugar levels and hence it is highly beneficial for diabetic patients. It is a high in iron. Ragi roti/ragi dosa is also recommended to lactating mothers in case of lack of milk production. You can add ragi dosa to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Ragi dosa can be enjoyed with peanuts or coconut chutney, thank me later!
5. Thalipeeth: Thalipeeth is another healthy alternative to wheat roti since it contains a variety of ingredients. Thalipeet also contains some amounts of wheat but that doesn’t reduce its health benefits. Thalipeeth contains a mixture of ingredients like roasted tapioca, rajgira, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, wheat and rice. You can make dough out of thalipeeth flour just like regular wheat flour, but it will be hard in texture, (because health and hot body comes at a price). You can make small discs out of it and serve with vegetables and pickle.
6. Almond Flour: You can make your own healthy almond flour by grinding almonds with their skin intact to get a coarser texture, and literally bake anything you want to get amazing health benefits (protein, vitamin E, healthy fats) as well as a rich nutty flavour. Fine almond flour on the other hand is prepared by blanching almonds and then blending it to a fine texture. You can bake bread, cakes, and even make rotis out of almond flour by mixing it with other flours.
7. Kuttu Flour: As you all know, Rati Beauty weight loss diet programs, has made kuttu roti popular because it helps to regulate blood sugar level, has rich fiber and protein content, and is also gluten free. Buckwheat flour or kuttu ka atta can be replaced with maida in chocolate cakes, try it!
8. Quinoa Flour: How does the idea of baking a yummy chocolate cake with quinoa sound to you, great, right? Use cooked quinoa with almond milk, eggs, baking soda, and other ingredients to get the benefits of quinoa’s protein and fiber content in a cake form.
9. Coconut Flour: Does the nutty flavour of coconut appeal to you? Then, it’s a good option to try coconut flour to bake cakes because it’s also great for weight loss. With its rich saturated fat content and lauric acid, it’s good for overall health too.
10. Sattu Flour: Our own sattu, which is a popular protein-rich flour in Northern India, is often called “poor man’s protein.” It’s a nutritious flour because it’s made from roasted bengal gram and has high protein and fiber content. Combine it with whole wheat flour and other regular baking ingredients, and you can gorge on a healthy cake without feeling guilty!