👋 Good morning! Black Friday gets closer, I’ve spotted plenty of early “Cyber Week” offers starting here…
Good x Collab
Dhruv Bhutani / Android Authority
- Everyone wants to create a meaningful limited edition.
- It’s both for creative marketing to grab headlines, add a sweet margin to a short-run product, and give the brand a little shine, too.
- Sometimes a collab goes bigger too: think YEEZY and Adidas shoes.
- The smartphone world has seen a few collabs too.
- Samsung has found a friend in Thom Browne in recent years, while Apple and Hermès have been fairly consistent collaborators over the years, along with Huawei and Porsche Design.
- OnePlus has had a bit more fun: it worked with McLaren on special editions with more RAM, along with Avengers-styled phones, and there was a Harry Potter edition of the OnePlus Watch for that completely forgettable wearable, and a Cyberpunk 2077 release before it as well.
Now, it’s Pac-Man!
- My colleague Dhruv has been playing with the OnePlus Nord 2 Pac-Man edition, and has found it’s actually good and proves brand collaborations can be fun.
- There’s glow-in-the-dark elements, there’s Pac-Man-themed wallpapers, ringtones, and custom animations for the fingerprint scanner.
- Look, our man Dhruv really likes it.
- “It co-opts the fun, frenetic nature of the game and truly leans into the game’s aesthetic. As someone who juggles dozens of phones at a time, it is rare that a phone’s design sparks joy.
- “Watching the Pac-Man characters racing across the fingerprint scanner brought a smile to my face every single time, and I often found myself holding the phone to a bright light just to admire the glow-in-the-dark back panel.”
Here’s that fingerprint animation, slowed down a little so you can catch it around the fingerprint:
Small price premium:
- OnePlus has added a little premium to the price, but it’s not too wild.
- The limited edtion Nord 2 will be £499/€529, up from the standard Nord 2 at £469/€499, which has the same specs.
- And still no sign of a US launch…
Tristan Rayner, Senior Editor
Daily Authority: 📈 Samsung’s Fold/Flip 4 sales targets
The Daily Authority